LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) — Paul and Christia Kaeo, a couple from Spring Arbor, Michigan, are currently in the largest security Mexican prison, their families said.
Christie’s daughter, Lindsay Hull, said her mother and stepfather were arrested at a Cancun airport on March 4th and had not been held for 21 days. Speaking to WLNS on Nexstar, she claimed the couple was in custody after Palace Company, owner of Palace Resorts, challenged the American Express Credit Card.

When Achaos arrived in Mexico earlier this month, they passed through customs, where Hal said a notice was placed on his passport, leading to an arrest.
A local Mexican outlet reported that Achaos was accused of fraudulent Cancun hotel chains worth more than $100,000, and signed a contract in November 2021 to purchase memberships with the hotel and a contract to request monthly payments from the hotel.
According to Riviera Maya News, a Cancun-based newspaper, Paul allegedly fraudulently cancelled 13 transactions that shared a total of $116,587 (at the time equivalent of P2.4 million) and a message from Christy on his Facebook page explaining how he committed fraud against the hotel.
Hal dismisses these claims as false and honorable, writing on social media where Americans have expressed Achaos about the incident.
“That’s why it’s so important to share our stories and spread the truth,” he wrote Hal in a text message to WLNS. “The truth wins.”


The couple said they are seeking help from the US embassy in Mexico and other federal and state agencies, but Achaos said as of Monday night he was still in custody.
Hal said she and her brothers hired both an American and a Mexican lawyer. She also said the resort is requesting $250,000 and signing a private agreement that does not guarantee the release of its parents.
Hal said the incident caused a ton of stress for her family.
“We’re trying to figure out what’s going on and find ways to get into some kind of communication with our parents. In other words, for 21 days, we’ve never spoken to my stepfather Paul,” Hal said. “My mother usually calls a day, and it’s not long at all. It’s basically a call she got until someone in the background tells her to get off the phone.
US Rep. Tom Barrett says he spoke to his family and his office contacts the State Department and the White House to release Paul and Christie.